How can we improve group travel planning?
Problem: It can take people weeks to plan a vacation together.
Solution: Groupava is a group travel planning app that helps people find a time, place, and budget that works for everyone.
How I worked on this bootcamp project in 2019.
It's too time-consuming to plan group vacations.
From the survey and interviews I conducted, it’s very stressful to find a time, place, and activities that works for everyone.
Tools, pain points, and what people like
- Most people use a third-party site to book
- People want to connect with friends and family and have options for activities
Two types of users
I saw two common themes when talking to people:
Some people love to plan, and others don't.
- Takes several trips a year
- Keep everyone in the loop
- Knows prices upfront
- Says there are so many sites now to plan travel
- Needs to edit or delete info
- Thinks that people are indecisive or take a while to respond
- Take 1-2 trips a year
- Keep options open
- Doesn’t want to spend a lot of money
- Doesn’t know how much money he spent
- Has trouble agreeing on what to do with friends
How to create a new trip
Sketches to get initial feedback on the UX flow
I did some guerilla testing of creating a new trip, and a voting process.
1. Each step of creating a trip is on a separate screen
2. People can vote for the options or add new ones
3. Once voting closes, the app shows the options with the most votes
What is this app for?
From the guerilla testing, some things were unclear, so I revised these in the wireframes.
Specific to group travel
In the initial sketch, the home screen didn't mention a group trip, so I revised the headline.
What do I do here?
I added a description to explain what to do on the voting screen.
Clearing up confusion
There were a few issues that came up from usability testing that I addressed:
1. I changed the copy to explain why there is more than one location selected
2. I added a button to make it clear where to view votes
3. I kept the ability for the admin to edit the trip after they vote
The journey is different for everyone
How I can improve this app in the future.
One size doesn't fit all
People might have a destination in mind already and just need help with the budget and timing.
Make it understable
Usability testing helped me find what was unclear. I could do further testing or put a beta out to collect more feedback.
People want ideas for activities to do while they're on their trip. This is a piece that can come in a future iteration.